Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul Frishert
    Participant

At the moment I am testing the use of the ClinicOffice database over a VPN connection. I am using Teamviewer to setup the VPN connection, because I cannot figure out how to setup a direct VPN.
      The speed within ClinicOffice is very slow and I don’t know, whether this is caused by a slow VPN connection or otherwise.
      (Some results: Open patient record 16 sec; Open appointment record 23 sec; Open clinical notes within patient record 16 sec.; all after first opened, because this takes much more time)

For the record: the upload speed for the location where the database is stored, is 4 Mbps and the download speed, where I use the database, is 8 Mbps. I think that this would be sufficient.

What can I do to speed up this?
      A working solution means, that I will buy an aditional user license 😀

Support
      Keymaster

Hi – thanks for your post. Virtual Private Networks are notoriously slow, mainly due to the network protocols and the heavy encryption.

How have you configured the setup? Is ClinicOffice running on the SAME machine as the database or are you running the ClinicOffice application on a REMOTE computer and reading the database across the VPN?

If it’s the latter then it’s most likely going to be very slow. You can test this by using Windows Explorer to copy the “app” files (from your database folder) over your VPN to see how quickly it transfers the data. This gives you an approximation of how long it would take for ClinicOffice to read the Appointment Diary.

If you require Remote Access, then another option may be to consider our new HOSTED Edition. Alternatively, the SERVER Edition will run faster over a network because the Client/Server engine optimizes the amount of data being transferred back and forth across the network.

Hope this helps to answer your query.

Paul Frishert
        Participant

I am running Clinicoffice locally and reading the database remotely across the VPN.

The hosted edition looks very good, but is expensive. The server edition is also very interesting, but also too expensive for only two users.
          I am looking for a good and not too expensive solution. Is there an other alternative?

Support
          Keymaster

You would be better off connecting to a remote Windows session on your host PC, rather than trying to run the database over a VPN. This can be achieved using Terminal Services or Citrix, however both these options are quite expensive too.

A quick Google search shows that there are alternatives such as TSPLUS which seem to be somewhat cheaper :-
            http://terminalserviceplus.com/index.php

Please note that this is NOT a recommendation as we haven’t tested TSPLUS with ClinicOffice. This is merely a suggestion and if TSPLUS does what it claims, then it could certainly be an excellent alternative.

Paul Frishert
            Participant

You would be better off connecting to a remote Windows session on your host PC, rather than trying to run the database over a VPN. This can be achieved using Terminal Services or Citrix, however both these options are quite expensive too.

It’s working! :D/

I am using the Windows 7 (Professional edition) Remote Desktop Connection solution now and not TSPLUS or some other app.
              It gave me some headache to implement, but now it’s working fine and it’s free, apart from the ClinicOffice extra user license. 😛

The headache was because of all the security issues I had to solve. 😡
              On the server site (i.e. my laptop) there was the port forwarding in my router (port 3389), then I had to open the port in the firewall of the laptop, in this case McAfee, and last but not least I had to solve the problem, that Windows 7 does not allow concurrent users. For this I used this solution: http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3692&Itemid=232.

So CliniOffice is installed on my laptop and I use it in my practice, while my assistant can now use Remote Desktop via the internet to logon to her own account on the laptop and then start ClinicOffice using her own account.

Case closed ❗

Support
              Keymaster

Congratulations! Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress. Your instructions will be most useful for other customers wanting to do the same thing.

Many thanks! 🙂

Hi

My wife is an accountant and logs into a vacant computer at work via LogMeIn which is free. She paid the USD$50 to have other functions but you don’t really need them – she did because she needed to print the accounts at home…if you wanted to print an invoice for someone, you would need to pay the USD$50 version of LogMeIn Pro2.

As for Virus scanners, since we switched to Vipre, we haven’t been slowed down nearly as much with scanning using resources.

I am a physio in Sydney and do not receive any financial or other benefit from mentioning the 2 products above…i do however love things to work well and these do for us!

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.