Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    meli524
    Participant

Is it possible to have the system automatically use the date of the appointment as the date of the invoice? And if yes, how?

For eg. Today is Friday January 22nd. I have 5 appointments on Monday January 25th and 6 appointments on Tuesday January 26th. I want to prepare all the invoices for the appointments on Monday and Tuesday.

Now I have to change all the invoice dates manually from Friday January 22nd, to Monday January 25th or Tuesday January 26th (and also manually change all the due dates) because the system automatically uses today (the day the invoice was created) as the invoice date. Is there a setting where I can make the system (automatically) match the invoice date to the date of the appointment when creating the invoice in advance?

Joshua Barrs
    Keymaster

Hi Meli524,

Thanks for the question.

ClinicOffice actually already has this feature built right in. Providing you raise the invoice from the appointment (right-click on the appointment record/from within the appointment itself) then ClinicOffice will ask if you want to back date the invoice.

Selecting ‘Yes’ uses the date of the appointment for the invoice as well as the due date, rather than todays date.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

meli524
    Participant

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for your reply. CO only asks me if I want to back date the invoice when I make an invoice for an appointment in the past. Not for an appointment in the future. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

I don’t understand completely what you mean with “from withing the appointment itself”. I have the full week view, and from there I right click on the appointment and create invoice. System uses today’s date as invoice date rather than appointment (which is in the future) date.

When I double click to open the appointment I can either choose Create Invoice (top) or Raise an invoice (bottom). Neither options prompts the window to back date the invoice. It should future-date the invoice (if that is even a word).

Invoices are prepared in advance by the secretary and send as early as 24h before the session takes place, but invoice date on the invoice should be same day as the appointment.

Joshua Barrs
    Keymaster

Hi Meli524,

My apologies, I misread your original post and thought you were referring to back-dating invoices rather than preparing them in advance.

Unfortunately there is no way to automate this. You can manually set the dates each time, but the system assumes an invoice is created for when the patient owes you money, and therefore the appointment must have been completed, or payment must be required from that point.

You do have the option to adjust due dates to a fixed number of days in the future, but again, you cannot lock due dates to the date of the appointment automatically.

To automate the process would require a custom script, ergo a charge depending on the complexity, however, the option to do that would not always be desirable anyway, as appointment dates can change, and therefore this would introduce the possibility of unwanted accounting discrepancies.

As mentioned though, you can still override this manually and set the dates yourself.

meli524
    Participant

Thank you again Joshua,

As per agreement with our clients cancellations can take place without charge up to 48 hours before the session. Between 48-24h 50% payment is required. Cancelling your appointment 24h or less or not showing up for your appointment at all, results in having to pay for the entire session. Clients are reminded 3 or 4 days in advance so there is still enough time to cancel without having to pay anything.

It might seem strict but there are multiple factors contributing to this: the very long waiting list with clients who do really want an appointment, culture (forgetting, being late, not informing timely), the waste of time and loss of income because due to the very late cancellation or no show, no other client was able to be planned. There is of course some flexibility for late cancellations (first time is never charged, depending on clients usual behavior, factors we know can play a role eg weather, death in family, etc).

We then move the entire appointment, manually change the date of the invoice, instead of voiding the invoice and creating a new one. This does not happen often as clients are reminded and have signed of on the treatment agreement. The no shows/late cancellations have dropped drastically since implementing these rules. This is the reason clients can receive an invoice up to 24h in advance.

It seems more logical if CO would use the appointment date as starting point for the invoice date  (not the date it was created if date is before appointment date), the same way that if I would create a session note for an appointment in the future, it uses the appointment date, not the date I created the session note. And of course the possibility to back-date like CO offers now.

I understand what I am looking for this is not possible at the moment and would require some specific action. It is something we use daily so might be worth investing in.

How can I find out what these charges would be?

Joshua Barrs
    Keymaster

Hi Meli524,

Thankyou for providing the added detail. Knowing your end goal helps us to offer potential solutions.

We have many other Clinics operating with similar cancellation/DNA policies, but as with any full accounting package, (not just ClinicOffice) it is assumed that an invoice being raised means that money is owed at that point in time. The due date on the invoice would represent the latest that payment is required for that invoice.

Even in software that allows you to automatically schedule invoices in advance, these still technically aren’t being created until the client actually owes the money.

With this being the case, usually any implementation of cancellation/DNA charges would be handled via pre-payment requirements, and then issuing subsequent refunds/partial refunds ONLY if the cancellation meets your accepted requirements. This tends to apply in most cases to save having to chase unpaid invoices.

That being said, if you still wanted a custom script writing that will automatically match an invoice date to the date of a future appointment, then if you could please provide us with a contact email, one of our developers will be in touch regarding a quotation. You can reach us on the email below.

info@pioneersoftware.co.uk

meli524
    Participant

Hi Joshua,

Thank you very much! Yes you are right, pre-payment would also be another good solution 🙂 especially to avoid spending time “running” behind payments. Thank you for pointing this option out also.

I just sent an e-mail regarding the quotation.

Kind regards,
    Meliza

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.