Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi

I use an accounting system called xero.

What is the best report to import into my accounting system given the following?
    I have looked at payment list. This includes prepayments or overpayments made on the day for clients that may have bought treatment packages – this is essential to show as the money was paid that day. Other payment reports do not show pre or overpayments ( so the total amount paid for the day is actually not included here, but they are excellent in that they detail the services claimed ( I need this as in australia massage incurs tax which has to be declared and physio does not).
    As I am based in australia, on a given day a patient will pay for their treatment and will also claim a rebate from a health cover company (hicaps)- at present I enter this as a negative amount to the invoice. On all the payment reports this is listed except for the payment list!
    Is it possible to have a payment report that is the best of both worlds, that is, will show over and prepayemtns made on a day and also show the negative hicaps taken for the day as well as the details fo teh services/and or product charged on the day?
    thanks for your help
    Kirsty

Support
    Keymaster

Hi Kirsty,

I’m afraid it’s difficult to give a quick answer to your post as I don’t fully understand the Australian tax/accounting system. Here’s a summary of how the financial records work in ClinicOffice :-

INVOICE
    An invoice is essentially a “bill”. When an invoice is raised it does the following :-
    (a) tells ClinicOffice that a person owes you money
    (b) provides a date/time point at which the money is (i) billed and (ii) due
    (c) provides detailed information as to what it’s for (i.e. qty of products/services)
    (d) provides other information such as which staff member (if any) was responsible

PAYMENT
    A payment is simply a record which says “x amount was received from y at this date/time”. On its own a payment has NO context as to WHY it’s been received or WHAT its for – all that information is recorded in the invoice.

PAYMENT -> INVOICE ALLOCATION
    A payment may be allocated to a single invoice, or to several invoices. Equally a single invoice can have multiple payments allocated to it. Once a payment has been allocated to an invoice, then more information is available to say what the payment is actually for.

Bearing in mind the above, here are some answers to your questions :-

>> Other payment reports do not show pre or overpayments
    Most likely you are referring to reports which tie invoices and payments together, such as Staff Allocation reports, or Item Sales reports. A “pre-payment” or “over-payment” has not been allocated to an invoice, so there is no way that such payments can show on these reports.

>> I enter this as a negative amount to the invoice. On all the payment reports this is listed except for the payment list!
    This is correct behaviour – a negative line on an invoice has absolutely nothing to do with a payment so there is no reason why it would appear on the Payment List report.

>> Is it possible to have a payment report that is the best of both worlds, that is, will show over and prepayemtns made on a day and also show the negative hicaps taken for the day as well as the details fo teh services/and or product charged on the day?
    No, because they are two completely separate things. What if somebody pre-paid you a month ago and has a credit sitting on their account – then they come in today and have a treatment? No money changes hands because they had already paid. Does that treatment appear on today’s report, or should it appear on the report for a month ago when the payment was made? Or does it appear on both? If both then the payment appears twice and totals are incorrect. If the former, then how does the system know what the payment was for since the invoice hasn’t been raised? If the latter, then it means the “day total” on todays report will be incorrect because it includes an amount which was NOT taken today but was received a month ago.

Instead, you should use a combination of TWO reports :-
    (a) The “Payment List” report which will show you your PHYSICAL takings for a day
    (b) “Item/Service Sales” report which will show you how money has been ALLOCATED that day. This may include payments taken on different dates but which are none-the-less relevant to today’s activity

I hope this helps to clarify things a little. 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.