Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi there,

I want to update our clinic office items so that they have proper stockcodes as used in our shop. At the moment we have the product name set in both ‘item code’ and ‘description’ field. This way staff can click on item code field and search for an item to add to the invoice based on the product name

When I change all the item codes to obscure stock codes how will staff be able to quickly search and add items to an invoice? It appears that the item code field is the only searchable field.

Entering the product title into the description field does not return any suggestions.

Seeing as staff will not be able to remember all our stockodes/item_codes….. is there a way to quickly search and add items to an invoice based on item description? I cant see it.

Thanks,
    Matt.

Hello?

is there a way to quickly search and add items to an invoice based on item description?

Support
    Keymaster

Hi – thanks for your post.

>> how will staff be able to quickly search and add items to an invoice?
    >> It appears that the item code field is the only searchable field

That’s correct, when building an invoice it is the item code that is used to identify the item. The “Description” field is intentionally a free text field which is pre-populated with the default item description, but can be overwritten and therefore can’t be used as a dropdown. This is exactly how QuickBooks works (a full accountancy package which we used as a reference for the financial side of ClinicOffice).

>> Seeing as staff will not be able to remember all our stockodes/item_codes
    To be honest, we’ve never had that problem expressed to us before. Most clinics will use descriptive item codes which staff can easily remember. For example “CON” for “Initial Consultatation” or “TRT15” for “15 Minute Treatment”. Some clinics have literally HUNDREDS of items and are able to use item codes without a problem. You can also printout the item database to help staff to become familiar with your item codes.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Hi thanks for the reply.

I see what you’re saying and I agree that staff could be expected to remember codes or have a print out to look at in circumstances where there are a few treatments to choose from.

However we have a large variety of services available and we have literally 1000’s of products which could be included in an invoice.

On top of this we have a fairly frequent turn over of staff on the shop/clinic floor and four separate clinic terminals that are used to invoice patients. The only way we have made this work so far is to use descriptive names as item codes. But now we need to get COV4 to report to our stock control system, proper stockcodes are needed.

So you see we are a bit stuck. If we put stockcodes as the item code our staff will really struggle to find items quickly. If we keep descriptive item codes we cannot link the purchase data into our other systems. We could put the stockodes into the description field but then customers would get invoices that make no sence to them.

Perhaps we use CO differently than most but IMO a search facility to add products to invoice based on description as well as item code would really help those who have a large database of services and products to work with.

Im hoping it might be a simple addition for you guys to put in. Likely to happen?

Support
    Keymaster

>> Im hoping it might be a simple addition for you guys to put in. Likely to happen?

As mentioned before, the description field is intentionally a free text field rather than a lookup field. This means it’s not possible to change the functionality for one customer without it affecting all ClinicOffice users, which I’m sure you can understand is not an option.

The only option would be for us to program a bespoke change specifically for your clinic. If you would like us to quote for this, please send an email to support@pioneersoftware.co.uk describing in full detail the exact change that you require, which screen(s) it affects, how it works etc. etc. and then we’ll be able to provide a quote for you.

Many thanks.

Support
    Keymaster

Hi Manic,

Following your email request, here are some instructions on how to update ALL the Item Codes in your database so that the new Item Code would equal the “Description” followed by the original Item Code in brackets.

e.g. A record with Item Code “1001” and a Description of “Cream” would be updated so that the new Item Code would be “Cream (1001)”. The Description will not be altered.

To effect this change, please follow these instructions :-

[1] Make sure you are logged on to ClinicOffice as an administrator
    [2] Click TOOLS | BACKUP DATABASE and make a backup of your database first (just in case! :shock:)
    [3] Click TOOLS | Advanced DB Operation
    [4] Enter the following SQL code :-

update item set itemcode=description || ' (' || itemcode || ')'

[5] Click the EXECUTE button. Please be sure to only click the EXECUTE button ONCE otherwise it will insert multiple descriptions into the item codes.
    [6] You should now LOG OFF your database and log back on to have a look at the changes.

Please let us know how you get on with this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.