Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

clinicoffice_user
    Participant

Hi,
    On initially setting up COv4 I added multiple tabs/items under ‘Custom Fields’ using the design function to suit my Case History format. I would like to amend these now as some are no longer relevant/can be amalgamated. My question is:
    Can I make any changes now without having to establish a new version of the database?
    What happens to my existing records?
    Will they maintain their current format (in which they were created) when recalled, or will I introduce some form of data validation errors due to the altered Custom Fields?
    Will only new Cases take up the new/adjusted format? (Ideally the situation I would like).
    Thanks and I hope you get the gist of my question/dilemma. Obviously I am a bit wary of altering the data format and corrupting my current 200+ patient records.
    Quentin

Support
    Keymaster

Hi – thanks for your post.

>> Can I make any changes now without having to establish a new version of the database?
    Yes you can re-design your forms in ClinicOffice and add/edit/remove custom fields at any time.

>> What happens to my existing records? Will they maintain their current format (in which they were created) when recalled, or will I introduce some form of data validation errors due to the altered Custom Fields?
    Bear in mind that you are re-designing that SCREEN in ClinicOffice – you are not re-designing a “record”. So when you re-design a screen layout (e.g. like the SESSION screen) then all your records (past and present) will be displayed with the current screen layout.

If you choose to physically DELETE a custom field from the database, then any data historically entered into that field would also be deleted. ( ❗ The program does go to great length to warn the user about this and forces them to type ‘YES’ to confirm if that is what they want to do.)

If you want to remove a now superfluous field without deleting data that was associated with that field, then the best thing to do is to HIDE the field by dragging-and-dropping it into the Customization window which appears when you enter design mode.

>> Obviously I am a bit wary of altering the data format and corrupting my current 200+ patient records.
    We STRONGLY recommend that you take a backup of your database before making large changes to form layouts and design. That way, you can always revert to your backup if need be.

Hope this information is helpful!

clinicoffice_user
    Participant

Thank you, that is very helpful. I’ll work within those guidelines to make my changes.
    Quentin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.