Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Guys… I’m sitting down with the new version and have a couple of things to feed back…

Firstly it seems very slow in comparison to CO2005 in terms of start up and loading up… do we need the splash screen….

(I couldn’t convert my Dbase as yet, so I can’t give you any idea how it will cope with my 36MB of stuff… but I noted that it will be just 1 file which is cool for off site backing up…)

The ribbon bar on the Diary takes up alot of space… any way of making it smaller or graphical with no text (like IE7) or at least an option to reduce or dock like the side bars which are very cool by the way… also if there was a facility to dock the diary side bar so that all you could view was the diary pages (so visually would look like a paper diary)

Ribbon bar works well on the editors…

Really like the ability to redesign the form… how powerful will this be as in this version it will allow movement of fields but not removal???

Like the new lay out for the Working Hours (Staff Editor) and the ability to split shifts

The flow of the patient editor is better but again custom design will be an asset here…

Like the zoom in/out buttons on top but note it’s missing from the right click menu

Note the addition of weekly veiw, monthly view etc and question the value of this… not a feature we would use working week maybe

Print Preview of the Diary looks good

That’s it for now

Looks great… nice feel to it… but ultimately it’s what our receptionists will make of it!!!

Colm 8)

Support
    Keymaster

Hi Colm – thanks for your quick feedback.

>> it seems very slow in comparison to CO2005
      >> in terms of start up and loading up…

This is mostly due to the program now being written in the Microsoft .NET 2 Framework. When you first run CO2007, the .NET 2 Framework has to be loaded first, then CO2007 gets loaded.

If you close down CO2007 and then start it up a second time, you should notice that it opens quite a lot faster as the Framework has now already been loaded.

Also, .NET applications are provided in what is called a CIL (Common Intermediate Language). When you run a .NET application, the Framework compiles the program on-the-fly as it is being run. This means that the first time you open a form, it gets compiled behind the scenes before it can be shown. As before, the 2nd time you open it, things will be faster.

By contrast, CO2005 was written in native Windows 32-bit code which means it is completely pre-compiled and only needs to be executed, no intermediate language, no runtime compilation. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, but technology-wise .NET is definitely the way forward and coding directly to Win32 will soon be obsolete.

As PCs get more powerful, the performance lag of the .NET framework will become less and less.

>> do we need the splash screen….

No, but as it doesn’t add much (if any) overhead and it lets you know that something is happening while the application loads up, we think it’s useful (and it looks nice!).

Other things to bear in mind :-
      – This is an ALPHA release so there is extra DEBUG code in there which is slowing things down a bit more
      – The apparent slowness you have noticed is ONLY in the User Interface (i.e. the on-screen components). The database engine is actually MUCH faster than CO2005 which was always a bit of a problem in CO2005.

>>I couldn’t convert my Dbase as yet

Was there an error with the conversion process? If so please let us know so we can take a look at it.

>>The ribbon bar on the Diary takes up alot of space… any way of making it smaller

Yes – right-click it then click Minimize or you can double-click on any of the tabs on the ribbon to minimize/restore its size.

>>facility to dock the diary side bar so that all you could view was the diary pages

Not a bad idea! We’ll see if we can put that in for you!

>> Really like the ability to redesign the form…
      >> how powerful will this be as in this version it will
      >> allow movement of fields but not removal???

Ah but it does! To remove a field, simply enter design mode on a form, then either right-click on a field and click Hide or drag-and-drop the field into the Hidden Fields section in the little customization form.

>> Like the zoom in/out buttons on top but note
      >> it’s missing from the right click menu

Yeah – there’s a bit more work needed on the right-click menus.

>> Note the addition of weekly veiw, monthly view etc and
      >> question the value of this… not a feature we would use
      >> working week maybe

Fair comment. The functionality is offered by the component so rather than disabling it we made it available – you never know if someone will find that kind of thing useful!

As usual Colm, thanks for your valuable contributions – please keep them coming!

I think the real thing that’s notible is the degree to which you can oustomise the user interface…

Does it remember how each user likes it to view the programe? if so that would be brilliant as the reception staff like a very different view to myself

Didin’t like the practitioner photo’s again space saving to see more diary.. but easy to get rid of…

The editor customisation is excelent.. it really helps to minimise unecessary data collection I really like this feature

Like the quick links docking…. like the double clicking to hide ribbon bars… and then single click to drop down/ hide…

No auto capitilisation occuring on staff editor I think…

will check out finances when I get a chance…

Impressed so far..

Colm 😀

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.