Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Apologies if this has been covered before – I’ve searched for an answer but couldn’t see anything…

We have a Windows 2008 R2 server running a ClinicOffice4 trial. At the moment the local admin staff are manually running daily DB backups via the application GUI. As this requires human intervention its a bit hit n miss as you’d expect, so I’d like to run a scheduled script to export the DB and associated user information to a flat file that can be backed up by our Tivoli infrastructure.

The problem is that I’m not a SQL expert, and furthermore have no knowledge whatsoever of PG-SQL. I can’t believe that I’m the first server admin to ask for this function, so I’m wondering if anyone has a working script that they’d be happy to share?

I’d be hugely grateful for any help, pointers etc… grovel grovel grovel 😳 😆

Support
    Keymaster

Thanks for your question. As part of the ClinicOffice Support Plan we offer an automated backup service which will regularly backup your database and also upload it to a secure off-site server.

If for some reason you don’t want to take out any support with us, then you could simply backup the entire PostgreSQL database folder. As long as your backup software uses Volume Shadow Copy (so it can backup files that are in use) then there shouldn’t be a problem.

If you wish to run a command-line utility yourself, then please take a look at the pg_dump utility which is provided as part of your PGSQL installation. You will find pg_dump.exe in your “C:PGSQLbin” folder on your server computer (presuming you installed to the default “C:PGSQL” folder).

Documentation on the pg_dump command-line parameters can be found here :-
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/app-pgdump.html

I’m afraid that we’re unable to offer any support for this utility, but there is a very active PostgreSQL community, so if you require further assistance you should be able to find it there :-
    http://www.postgresql.org/community/

>> I can’t believe that I’m the first server admin to ask for this function
    Almost every customer running the Server Edition is also on our Support Plan, so we take care of the backups for them. The few who have decided not to take out any support use their own backup software to backup their entire PGSQL folder, which is also fine. Those are the main reasons why this has not been requested before.

I hope this helps to answer your question!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.