Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Support
    Keymaster

*** UPDATED January 2016 ***

Having an anti-virus program installed on your computers is essential in this day and age. However, anti-virus programs can cause issues for database applications like ClinicOffice. Below is a short list of anti-virus programs in two categories pertaining to whether ClinicOffice users have encountered issues running the program alongside ClinicOffice or not.

LITTLE / NO ISSUES ENCOUNTERED:
    Bit Defender FREE Edition [website]
    Norton [website]
    AVIRA [website]
    Avast! [website]
    Windows Defender / MS Security Essentials

SOME ISSUES ENCOUNTERED:
    AVG [website]
    Kaspersky [Some issues encountered]
    Trend Micro Internet Security [Some issues encountered]
    McAfee [Some issues encountered]

More Information

Q. What do you recommend?

We use various anti-virus programs here on our office and development PCs. We would highly recommend Bit Defender or Avast! which are free and reliable programs which have minimal impact on ClinicOffice. You can download these directly from the vendor’s website

ClinicOffice users install all sorts of different anti-virus programs (many of which we have not mentioned) and run without any problems. However, if your anti-virus software is configured to scan EVERY FILE on your system, then this will slow down ClinicOffice; your virus scanner will be continually scanning and locking down ClinicOffice database files every time they are accessed.

To avoid affecting performance, we always recommend that irrespective of which anti-virus software you use, you should EXCLUDE your ClinicOffice database from being scanned. These are :-

– Your ClinicOffice database folder :-

“C:COv5_Data” and all subfolders

– Your ClinicOffice program folder which will be something like :-

“C:Program Files (x86)Pioneer SoftwareClinicOffice v5”

If you’re running the ClinicOffice Server Edition then you should also exclude your PGSQL folder from being scanned – by default this is C:PGSQL.

(Please refer to your anti-virus documentation for information on how to configure exclusions.)

William
    Keymaster

As an update to the last post, some users have reported that the latest McAfee Internet Security 2010 seems to block Windows File Sharing. This means that if you’re using ClinicOffice v4 Professional Edition and you’re sharing your database across a network, then other computers may be unable to access it because McAfee is blocking them.

If you experience this problem then please consult your McAfee Internet Security 2010 User Guide to see how to stop it from blocking Windows File Sharing.

I am using Vipre which is a newer gen type software – pretty good – quicker than the others…

Support
    Keymaster

Thanks for the suggestion about “Vipre”. Unfortunately there seems to be no free downloadable trial version so we’re unable to test it with COv4 to pass comment.

Hi – i think there is something wrong with the way the forum automatically sends me info when replies come in – i manually find this one!

Vipre can be downloaded and tried for free for 30 days – just not that obvious…

http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/VIPRE/Download/

i have a version which is about $50 which lets you have as many computers from the one site covered which is pretty cheap considering i have 6 computers at work and 5 at home!! So for USD$100 i get 11 or more computers covered…

A computer nerd at the uni where i did my masters put me onto it – he did all the research 🙂

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.