Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Can I log in to a database which resides on line on an ftp server? I’m going to need to use clinic office on multiple computers from different physical locations. Whilst one way is to set up a VPN, another (more simple) way is to have my database put on to my server space on line and for me to point to that space as the directory in which I hold my database.

When I’m browsing for a folder at the log in screen, although I can see the computers and folders in my local network, I cannot see the folders in my connected servers (which are normally visible in windows explorer as favourite links, in Vista)

Thanks for your help

Support
    Keymaster

ClinicOffice v4 Professional Edition is a Windows Desktop application and needs to be able to access the database files via :-

– a directory path (e.g. “C:COv4_DataMy Database”)
    – a mapped network drive (e.g. “Z:My Database”)
    – a UNC path (e.g. “\serverdatabase”)

If you are able to configure an FTP server to appear as a mapped drive (or UNC path) as above, then yes it should work, however there would be some serious performance implications of running a file based database over FTP and it is highly doubtful that this would be a viable option.

A much better solution would be to setup a central server (using something like Windows Server 2003/2008) and configure Terminal Services so that your users can connect in using Remote Desktop sessions.

The ClinicOffice Server Edition can be accessed over the internet as the program simply needs to know the IP address on which the COv4 Server is running.

This will certainly perform better than accessing database files via FTP or even over a VPN, however this method still means that the data being transferred over the internet is actually your database data, which is a much bigger overhead than Remote Desktop (or Citrix) where the screen image and mouse/keyboard input is all that is being transferred over the internet.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

so what you are saying is that if i had the Server edition of COv4, then using remote desktop should allow my wife/accountant full access to the files/reports etc? Will she need a licence on the computer at home or will that be covered by the computer/server running the Server Edition?

Thanks

Support
    Keymaster

Hi – thanks for your post.

The COv4 Server Edition works on the number of concurrent connections i.e. a 5 user license will allow up to 5 people to use the system at the same time but you can install the software on as many computers as you wish.

For remote access via Remote Desktop/Terminal Services however, there is not even a need to install the software on the remote computer as it will actually be running the program on the server.

>> using remote desktop should allow my wife/accountant full access to the files/reports etc
    That’s correct.

>> Will she need a licence on the computer at home or will that be covered by the computer/server running the Server Edition?
    Covered by the license on the server.

Hope this helps!

thanks for the reply.

does remote access also work on the pro edition. i am guessing that it does but need to make sure. I am leaning to server edition…

Support
    Keymaster

Yes it will work in both the Pro or Server editions. We tend recommend the Server Edition because of its better performance.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.