Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I am sure I am not the only one who may be in this situation.

I own the server edition of COv5 with the online diary option.

I would like to be able to keep my server at home and use my computers at the 3 different locations to access the server and run clinic office from it.

The server is a Core i7 with port forwarding enabled and a static IP address. It is running Windows 7 Professional.

Each computer at the clinics is running Windows 7 professional.

Ideally, I would like to be able to:
    1. Start COv5 on the clinic computer and have it access the server at home – is this possible?

If I can’t do that, which would be a better option?
    2. LogMeIn OR
    3. Remote Desktop connection?

How do other multiple clinic users currently set their WAN up?

The multiple clinics function on COv5 is a great idea but how does it work?

Any indication would be useful. THanks

Support
    Keymaster

Thanks for your post. Yes it is possible to have the ClinicOffice client remotely reading a database over the internet. To achieve this you would need to setup your firewall, port-forwarding and also configure the pg_hba.conf file in the PostgreSQL engine to allow the remote connections (see http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html).

Is it desirable to do this? NO. Why?

(a) Performance: working this way, you are streaming entire database records back and forth over the internet. Unless you have some sort of massive internet connection at both ends (client and server) then performance will be poor – especially when working with files or images. Even large result sets will affect performance. Consider: performing a complex query which returns 10,000 rows over the internet would mean that the entire dataset of 10,000 records (which could themselves contain large binary fields) would have to be transferred over the wire. Remote Desktop or LogMeIn by contrast only sends a screen image and mouse/keyboard input – all data processing is done on the server and no raw data is transferred over the internet.

(b) Security: the connection between the ClinicOffice client and the PostgreSQL server is not encrypted. There is no need for it to be encrypted when running over a LAN. If you decide to run your database over the internet, you are sending entire unencrypted records over the worldwide web. RemoteApp which we use for our Hosted Servers is fully encrypted.

>> which would be a better option?
    >> 2. LogMeIn OR
    >> 3. Remote Desktop connection?

Either.

>> How do other multiple clinic users currently set their WAN up?
    >> The multiple clinics function on COv5 is a great idea but how does it work?

Most customers in this situation would subscribe to our Hosted Edition. Please see these links for more information :-
    http://pioneersoftware.co.uk/co-how-to-buy
    http://pioneersoftware.co.uk/co-hosted

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Thanks for the reply.

So, in the server edition of COv5, what would the benefit of using the multiple clinics be if I had to remotely use a computer – how did it work before the hosted edition?

LogMeIn basically needs a computer on the other end to sit there in an unusable fashion.

Is there a way to have multiple users remotely use COv5?

Thanks

Support
    Keymaster

>> what would the benefit of using the multiple clinics be if I had to remotely
    >> use a computer – how did it work before the hosted edition?

We have customers using their own “Hosted” environments via Terminal Services, Citrix or TS Plus. Some clients manage their appiointment diary from one central location and others travel around between clinics. In each case the ability to segregate the database into subclinics is useful for them.

>> LogMeIn basically needs a computer on the other end to sit there in an unusable fashion.
    It might not suit your circumstances, but many customers who travel between sites one at a time, or who like to work from home in the evenings find it to be very useful.

>> Is there a way to have multiple users remotely use COv5?
    As mentioned previously – this is exactly what the Hosted Edition is for – please click the link below for more information :-
    http://pioneersoftware.co.uk/co-how-to-buy

Alternatives to the Hosted Edition would include Terminal Services, Citrix and TS Plus.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.