Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Can you tell me where the files are usually stored for the server edition of the database. I’m not sure what files I need to backup, and because the database files are fairly important to me, I’d like to back them up to an external flash drive that I can store elsewhere.

Hi plasticman,

we backup our database to another disk drive separate to the one COv4 uses as the server (and has all the main files…is this what you are asking?

I am assuming that if you lost your server computer, you would want to be able to restore everything…i would think you would just download the latest clinic office trial, enter your activation details and then restore your database that you have saved elsewhere…

hope that is right.

Cheers

Support
    Keymaster

Hi – thanks for your post.

The PostgreSQL Client/Server database engine creates a database “CLUSTER”, which from a Windows Explorer point of view just looks like a collection of random files and folders.

The default PostgreSQL install location which we use for ClinicOffice is “C:PGSQL” (although it may be on a different drive letter if the customer requests it).

If you’re using a backup strategy outside of ClinicOffice, we suggest that you backup the entire C:PGSQL folder and all sub-directories. Also, please note that your backup software will need to perform a “volume shadow copy” (if it supports it) because some of the files will most likely be ‘locked’ by the database engine.

Alternatively, you can always click TOOLS | BACKUP DATABASE from within ClinicOffice v4 itself, which will create a convenient single backup file from which your database can be fully restored at a later date.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

thanks for the replies. If I exit the database from all the computers running the database will the files then become “unlocked” so that I can simply copy the C:PGSQL onto a USB flash drive?

It sounds like the tools|backup is the best option

Support
    Keymaster

>> If I exit the database from all the computers running the
    >> database will the files then become “unlocked” so that I can
    >> simply copy the C:PGSQL onto a USB flash drive?

Unfortunately not. The database server runs as a system service, so unless you stop the system service on your Server machine (which is not recommended) then some files will probably always be locked. A much better solution is to use ClinicOffice’s own backup routine (TOOLS | BACKUP DATABASE) to save your backup file to your USB memory stick. Is there some reason why you don’t want to use the backup routine from inside ClinicOffice?

no reason – just asking 🙂 thanks for the advice. I’ll do it through tools->backup on the server machine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.