Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I am planning the implementation of ClinicOffice v4, starter edition, for a client who’s a speech and language therapist working with small children – the child is the patient but the parents of course are the ones who get invoices.

The main reason to use ClinicOffice is to manage the diary and particularly to do invoicing. The client base is less than 100, so performance is not a big issue.

Some questions arising:

– is it best to have the Patient record set to the parent’s name, and add custom fields for the child’s name and other info? This seems quite easy and would mean the invoice has the right name on the top, and I assume I can include child’s name in the invoice. I’m using ‘Known As’ set to the child’s name for easy searching.

– this therapist is the sole practitioner in her clinic, and also does some home and school visits. Is there any value in defining an additional clinic for “Home/School Visits”? She does need to charge for travel costs by the mile, but that can be handled separately.

– is there an ODBC driver available for COv4 starter edition? I can see that the database schema is quite simple, and would only want this for simpler data export.

– I did some customisations within the sample database in the trial edition of the product back in Sep/Oct 2009 – I now find that opening a copy of that customized DB fails while it’s being automatically upgraded – error about a table being renamed that already exists (can provide screenshot)

Overall it’s a very nice product – I particularly like the ability to add custom fields in such a simple way!

Support
    Keymaster

is it best to have the Patient record set to the parent’s name, and add custom fields for the child’s name and other info? This seems quite easy and would mean the invoice has the right name on the top, and I assume I can include child’s name in the invoice. I’m using ‘Known As’ set to the child’s name for easy searching.

Yes you could do it that way. Another way would be as follows :-

[1] Enter the parent as a record in to the CONTACT database.
    [2] Click SAVE (not SAVE & CLOSE) and then click DUPLICATE
    [3] Change the name to the childs name, then click SAVE, then CONVERT TO PATIENT
    [4] Lastly, set the “Invoice Recipient” in the child’s patient record to be their parent.

The initial setup is slightly longer, but would keep a more ‘exact’ record.

this therapist is the sole practitioner in her clinic, and also does some home and school visits. Is there any value in defining an additional clinic for “Home/School Visits”? She does need to charge for travel costs by the mile, but that can be handled separately.

It would probably be better to enter “Home Visit” as an “Appointment Type” in the database and give it a significantly different colour so that it stands out. You could also assign it a longer default duration (e.g. 1 hour) to allow for travel time.

is there an ODBC driver available for COv4 starter edition? I can see that the database schema is quite simple, and would only want this for simpler data export.

Unfortunately not, but if you have a knowledge of SQL then you can easily create your own grid based reports which can be easily exported to Excel and many other formats.

I did some customisations within the sample database in the trial edition of the product back in Sep/Oct 2009 – I now find that opening a copy of that customized DB fails while it’s being automatically upgraded – error about a table being renamed that already exists (can provide screenshot)

Please backup the database (TOOLS | BACKUP DATABASE) and upload the backup to our FTP server :-
    https://pioneersoftware.co.uk/forums/topic/faq-301-how-do-i-upload-my-database-to-your-ftp-server
    We’ll then take a look and see what the problem is.

Overall it’s a very nice product – I particularly like the ability to add custom fields in such a simple way!

Thanks! Many of our customers appreciate this facility and have commented that it’s one of the features in ClinicOffice which makes it stand head-and-shoulders above the competition.

Please let us know if we can be of any more assistance.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I am going to use the essentials of your first tip, but directly create the child as a new Patient record, linking to the parent Contact record as the Invoice Recipient for the Patient – exactly what’s needed. I’m also linking from the parent Contact to (one or more) child Patient records.

A couple of other issues:

– when launching ClinicOffice, it shows the splash screen, then the main screen (for a split second), then minimizes itself leaving only the yellow balloon tip (about password for the sample DB). This is repeatable but seems to have only started in the last week or two – it wasn’t doing this when first installed in late April / early May. I’m on the latest CO update 1057 – was on 1056 when first installed.

• The PC is quite new: Core i3 530 with 4GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, has quite a few other applications installed. Using the built-in i3 530 GPU, driver is the latest Intel graphics driver via Windows Update – also checked with the Intel.com driver update scanner.
    • Perhaps related: the quick access links in title bar are whited out until I mouse over them. Don’t recall this happening before.
    • Apart from this there are no graphics issues – just maximize from taskbar and everything works fine.
    • If anyone else is using this GPU, would be great to know your video driver version if you’re not seeing this (GPU is “Intel HD Graphics“, present in Core i5 661, i3 540 & i3 530)

– I’ve created one Staff member who’s the practitioner, clicking the ‘Is practitioner’ checkbox, and can see this record in the Staff view. I’ve specified some part time working hours at the new Clinic created (within sample DB) but I can’t see this staff member in the diary for that clinic at all, only the four sample records from the other clinic. Is there something I’m missing here?

Support
    Keymaster

it shows the splash screen, then the main screen (for a split second), then minimizes itself leaving only the yellow balloon tip (about password for the sample DB)

The only thing I can think is that you’ve perhaps modified the shortcut to run the program as minimized? If not, then there must be some other program intefering with ClinicOffice and forcing it to run minimized. We’ve never had any other reports of this – sorry.

As regards the driver/video/hardware questions, I think it might be better to post this on a different forum, for example :-

or
    http://forums.bit-tech.net

I’ve created one Staff member who’s the practitioner, clicking the ‘Is practitioner’ checkbox, and can see this record in the Staff view. I’ve specified some part time working hours at the new Clinic created (within sample DB) but I can’t see this staff member in the diary for that clinic at all, only the four sample records from the other clinic. Is there something I’m missing here?

Please make sure you have followed the steps in this FAQ :-
    viewtopic.php?f=28&t=248

If you have worked through that, then please upload your database (as mentioned before) and we’ll take a look.

@Support wrote:

it shows the splash screen, then the main screen (for a split second), then minimizes itself leaving only the yellow balloon tip (about password for the sample DB)

The only thing I can think is that you’ve perhaps modified the shortcut to run the program as minimized? If not, then there must be some other program intefering with ClinicOffice and forcing it to run minimized. We’ve never had any other reports of this – sorry.

I did check the shortcut straight away, and it is not set to run in minimized mode. However, perhaps I should play with using Normal or Maximized.

There is a fairly good workaround, in case anyone else has this – I created a .cmd script that I now use to launch ClinicOffice – set this script to launch minimised in its shortcut properties. The script runs ClinicOffice, then exits, leaving ClinicOffice visible on screen.

@echo off
    rem run-clinicoffice - set this script to run minimized
    echo Running ClinicOffice ...
    "C:Program Files (x86)Pioneer SoftwareClinicOffice v4COv4_Loader.exe"

Before doing this, I also tried the shortcut compatibility settings to turn off Aero, turn off visual themes, run in XP compatibility mode, etc.

I am using Classic Shell under Windows 7 to launch applications – basically a start menu that looks exactly like Windows XP, which I’m using on three PCs without any other apps showing this problem. It was also launching ClinicOffice without this problem last month. I will re-test under the normal Windows 7 start menu if I get a moment – however, I don’t think that’s the issue, since the above .cmd script shows the same behaviour i.e. ClinicOffice starts full screen then immediately minimises.

In fact what’s happening with this .cmd script is that CO doesn’t minimise itself exactly – it starts in full screen on top of other windows but then something moves this window ‘back’ by one in the ‘Z layer’ of windows, i.e. it is one behind the cmd.exe window (or whatever else launches it). Then the cmd.exe window exits and all is well.

On the practitioner Staff member – I remember setting this checkbox for ‘is practitioner’ but somehow it was unset… probably finger trouble.

Everything is now working very well – just need to do final customizations for other contacts related to patient.

I did some more testing of the launch-minimised problem – it was a bit intermittent (worked first thing today then stopped working for a long time), and now the launch is working fine however I do it.

I tested the original launcher (Normal Window setting in the shortcut) from Classic Shell, the normal Windows 7 start menu, and the Windows 7 desktop, and the initial window was maximised as it should be. Using another shortcut set to Maximized, that also worked fine.

This seems to have resolved itself – quite mystifying. I suspect some sort of intermittent Windows 7 bug, or just possibly a RAM error (though I ran a lot of RAM tests when building this PC.)

Support
    Keymaster

Thanks for your feedback – sounds like it might be an issue related to that specific computer rather than an issue with ClinicOffice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.