Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Is there a way to share a single database over 2 locations? We are in the process of setting up a second clinic and require access to both diaries and either location. I thought the simplest way to do this would be share one database across a fixed virtual private network. We have fibre broadband at each location, so bandwidth should not be an issue.

Hi there,

Thanks very much for your post.

I think the most efficient way would be to subscribe to our COv5 Hosted Edition. This means that the database would be hosted on our very secure and very powerful servers and you access it remotely. You can access it from anywhere with a good internet connection.

The licensing is based on CONCURRENT USERS so you could access ClinicOffice from any number of different PC’s, MACS etc. The only limit is how many can log on at the same time – which is up to you as to how many licenses you need.

If this would be of interest, please send us an email or call our sales team (0845 388 6703) and we’ll be happy to get a quote to you!

Thanks again 🙂

It is certainly something I would consider but your pricing structure makes this unfeasible. 🙁
    I’d need 8 users across the 2 clinics with 5 add on modules = £266 per month.
    If I upgrade to server edition and buy 3 more licenses, it would cost me £950 all in, less than 4 months cost on the hosted version. After 5 years, it would cost me over £19000 by using the hosted version, as opposed to £950 upfront. Doesn’t really make financial sense to me…. [-X

Support
    Keymaster

Hi – thanks for your post.

>> If I upgrade to server edition and buy 3 more licenses, it would cost me £950 all in, less than 4 months cost on the hosted version. After 5 years, it would cost me over £19000 by using the hosted version, as opposed to £950 upfront. Doesn’t really make financial sense to me…

I understand what you’re saying, but I’m afraid you’re comparing apples to oranges. To illustrate :-

I could go and purchase a car for £10,000. I own the car and don’t have to pay anything else. However, I am responsible for taxing the car, MOT’ing it, having it serviced, replacing the tyres, paying for repairs if something goes wrong, cleaning it, etc. etc. … and what if I want a new car? I have to pay for another one.

Alternatively, I could lease a car with a “fully managed service”. I pay £300 per month. The leasing company pays the road tax, arranges MOTs, services the car for me, replaces the tyres, fixes any issues immediately (without cost) and they valet it regularly. Furthermore, every couple of years they give me a brand new car to replace the old one… all included in the cost.

That’s the difference between purchasing ClinicOffice and subscribing to the Hosted Edition. The Hosted Edition is a “fully managed” service.

>> I thought the simplest way to do this would be share one database across a fixed virtual private network. We have fibre broadband at each location, so bandwidth should not be an issue.

Yes that’s certainly possible, however it means that you would be responsible for configuring, maintaining and supporting the VPN connection between your two sites. If you experience any connectivity issues or other problems, we’ll be unable to assist you – you will need to know how to resolve such issues yourself, or have an IT company assist you (for which they will no doubt charge).

Please also note that running your entire database over a VPN will significantly decrease the performance of the database engine. Even if you have good upload/download speeds at both sites, if other users or processes are consuming bandwidth (e.g. streaming video/audio, uploading/downloading files, downloading program/Windows updates) then it’s going to further impact performance.

A far better solution to connect two sites together would be to use something like MS Remote Desktop Services (which our Hosted servers use) or Citrix. With these technologies, only the screen image and keystrokes/mouse movements are transmitted back-and-forth rather than the database engine having to shift entire datasets over the wire, which is far less efficient.

Of course, the downside to running RDS or Citrix on your own hardware is that you will need to buy Windows Server and pay out significant annual license costs for RDS Client Access Licenses (or the Citrix equivalent).

With the Hosted Edition, all of the above (including the costs) are taken care of – which is why so many customers choose the Hosted Edition. 🙂

I have 2 sites and 2 seats on the hosted version, with everything in costs me about £125 per month

I no longer pay backup fees, I sold my server which is another layer of complexity I don’t have to manage in terms of virus protection software/malware/backups, therefore more quality time to work on other things.

If you want a simple (well supported) life go hosted… your saving money long term because you don’t have to pay for the infrastructure and somebody to manage it. Your time is probably costly, if we have a problem, I don’t get the telephone calls anymore, support do! and there best placed to sort the issue.

Be brave you’ll sleep better at night..

Backman

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.