Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I am about to upgrade to win 7 – had to wait until better drivers for my laptop were available for some of it’s systmes.

I use clinicoffice pro. i have a gigabit wired netwrok and i run cat 6 cable throughout. I get huge sequential throughput for data both ways laptop-server and vice versa.

I find some DB sorts take up to 12-20seconds when done from the laptop while they are immeidate on the reception computer (where DB is stored).

If I put the DB on a solid state drive with high IOPS will this help (considering vertex LE, 2x vertex LE raid 0 dedicated controller, or ocz pci-e z drive)?

currently running on phenom II 940 3.0 ghz quad core with 8gb ram vista 64 ultimate. would moving to dual quad core xeons of similar speed with 16gb memory improve my db search time without or in conjunction with the above?

Or will upgrading to the high end client/server version of clinic office be the best solution?

I want fast db access. as fast as possible. from all nodes as I am likely hiring two more people in the near term and the db will be growing quickly.

Thanks!

Jason

Support
    Keymaster

Hi Jason – thanks for your post.

When running ClinicOffice (or any database application) over a network, the ‘bottleneck’ is almost always going to be the network transfer speed. For further information, this article on Toms Hardware examines the ‘real world’ results of Gigabit networking :-
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabit-ethernet-bandwidth,2321-7.html

As far as ClinicOffice is concerned, your hardware already sounds more than adequate. By far the best performance gain would be achieved by upgrading to the SERVER Edition.

I hope this helps!

the article you mention is good and does indicate that the hard drives tend to be the speed limiting facotr.

Another way to phrase my question is this:

when i log onto a website, such as ESPN, there are millions of records in a database. I enter my name and password, and usually in 3-5 seconds i am logged in. the request had to cross the internet, probably several nodes, search a massive database, confirm my password and login, and then send the ‘okay’ message back through those nodes to my computer. again, 3 to 5 seconds.

I have two high end computers, yet it can take 20 seconds to pull up a client chart out of a database of only hundreds of individual records – with only one ‘node’, a gigabit switch, between the computers.

I already use SSD’s for my OS drives and can get an easy 115MB/S sustained transfer across my network, which is close to ther maximum of gigabit networking. So the tiny bit of data – in comparison – sent from my laptop to my main computer should be almost instantaneous. So to me the delay seems more on the software side – either the client or OS. I already know the client is part of it – file based db versus squl. I am asusming i have answered my own question previously – the internet databases that are fast are dedicated databas machines usually running sql or a derivative.lease correct me if i am wrong.

I know vista sucks and have no problem believinbg it slows down the random IOPS across a network,so i attribute some to this factor. Would moving the main computer to MS Server SBE 2008 streamline the networking environment or is this overkill?

I am pretty much already committed to going with the server edition for clinic office, but i want to make sure i am getting the maximum performance gain.

One last question – for the server edition would you recommend a stabdalone server or can i double it as my reception desk computer?

Support
    Keymaster

I have two high end computers, yet it can take 20 seconds to pull up a client chart out of a database of only hundreds of individual records – with only one ‘node’, a gigabit switch, between the computers.

If it’s taking 20 seconds then something is definitely not right. We have a test database here which is over 2GB in size and it takes about 3 seconds to pull up a clinical record which has 50 nodes.

What virus scanner are you using? Have you tried excluding the database folder from all scans?

Would moving the main computer to MS Server SBE 2008 streamline the networking environment or is this overkill?

Probably overkill.

for the server edition would you recommend a standalone server or can i double it as my reception desk computer?

There’s usually no problem doubling it up as your reception PC – we’d recommend a QUAD core processor for this (it will multitask user applications + the database engine processes better) and it should have plenty of memory too – 4Gb would be good.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.