Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I’m currently rebuilding a small clinic setup to use an encrypted Seagate NAS box for data storage in one place.

I have copied the Clinic Office database to the NAS box and located it via the CO software. Unfortunately the share option is greyed out when I right click on the database.

Is there anyway that the database can be made to work via the NAS box?

The setup uses two Pro versions of COV4.

I hope to its not another database setup that has to be on a ‘proper computer/server’ to run as most small firms don’t want to have servers and NAS boxes are the way to go.

Any help appreciated.

Support
    Keymaster

The “SHARE DATABASE” function simply asks Windows to enable file sharing on the selected folder. The reason you can’t use this function in this instance is (presumably) because your NAS box is already on a network path and Windows can’t share a network path – it can only share a local drive.

You will need to manually setup File Sharing on your database folder (on your NAS box) and also make sure that all Windows Users have FULL access to it.

After you’ve done that, go to each ClinicOffice installation, go to the Database Manager and click LOCATE and enter the UNC path name to the database e.g. :-
    \my_nas_boxclinicoffice_share

IMPORTANT NOTES
    – Do not use network drive mappings with ClinicOffice (e.g. assigning X: to a network path)
    – Each installation must reference ClinicOffice via exactly the same UNC path

Hi – i am a small business and we stick the COv4 (server edition) on a computer at the reception desk. We only keep the COv4 database on it. All other files including the COv4 backups go the the NAS.

I think the benefits of doing it this way are as follows:
    1. Having the reception computer able to access the info quickly means less waiting for compilation – i am running a gigabit wired LAN.
    2. If i have to fix the reception computer, i only have to back up one file (the database) – all other files (documents, letters, etc) go on the NAS which is easily backed up as well.
    3. If someone is working in the clinic, then the reception computer has to stay on which is no big deal as it is often the last computer to be turned off anyway.
    4. It is one of 2 computers at reception – my wife (who is an accountant) remotely logs in via LogMeIn and completes her work there (the quick log off, switch user feature has really helped to speed things up in that area).

Hope that helps. Oh, forgot to add that the Computer is an I7 processor running on Windows XP Pro.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.