Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

We have the Cov4 Professional edition and I read somewhere that Cov5 has some performance improvements mainly because of a new client-server interface. Anyway, I would be interested to know what kind of performance improvement we might see if we upgraded to Cov5, all other things being equal.

For example a 10% improvement, 20% perhaps?

Thanks.

William
    Keymaster

Hi Kier,

Thanks for your post and apologies for the delay in replying. I’m afraid it’s impossible to give figures because it depends on the circumstances.

For example, network speeds will get the biggest boost from the improved engine (especially when retrieving larger datasets or when performing a large number of small DB transactions) since less network traffic is generated.

When the database is running locally (i.e. on the same hard disk as the program) then although the performance will be better, the increase will probably be less noticeable. A simple database lookup on one record might be 5% faster for example (which will be hardly noticeably) while retrieving 10,000 records across the network might be 100% faster.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.