Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

We currently run COv4 Server Edition for a large teaching clinic 20,000 patient treatments per annum

For reliability, ease of support and better integration we are considering moving to a new server. Another option of course would be the hosted edition.

Some initial questions:-

1) What can we do on our current server edition that we could not do on the hosted edition

2) With the help of Pioneer to set them up for us we run “Arrival Screens” around the Clinic. These work in the same way as airport arrivals showing which patients are due in the next 40 minutes and then showing when they have arrived at reception. This works really well but relies on a small script running on the “arrivals PC” that runs all the video sceens. Is this likely to work on the hosted edition?

3) For the hosted edition what speed of internet connection is recommended (upload and download)?

4) How does the USER licensing work for the hosted edition (i.e. number of concurrent Users)?

Regards
    Tony Taylor
    ESO Maidstone

Support
    Keymaster

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your post. If you look at the COv4 Pricing page (click here) you will see there is a link to a document which discusses the Hosted Edition versus non-hosted and will help to answer your questions.

Here’s a direct link to the document :-
    http://pioneersoftware.co.uk/files/COv4_Price_List.pdf

To answer specifically :-
    [1] Please see the document referenced above
    [2] No, this will not work on the Hosted Edition. We can only host ClinicOffice, not bespoke applications
    [3] Upload is not particular relevant (256kbps+), download should be a minimum of 1Mbps – the higher the better for both
    [4] The same as the Server Edition

Hope this helps!

Many thanks for the prompt reply, this gives us enough for me to work on.

I would some further clarrification on the “Arrivals” screens. I thought all the bespoke element was on the local PC with the Server application itself was standard build?

I was more expecting issues with the constant interrogation for updates every few seconds

I attach the Pioneer application and setting files to double check.

Support
    Keymaster

>> I thought all the bespoke element was on the local PC with the Server application
    >> itself was standard build? I was more expecting issues with the constant interrogation
    >> for updates every few seconds

With the Hosted Edition BOTH the application AND the database are hosted on our servers. There is no local installation at all, hence there is no issue with the database interrogation. The problem lies in the fact that our Cloud Servers are configured to allow remote instances of ClinicOffice to run, rather than other bespoke applications. There are also other technical issues with regard to running a remote application which is ‘always-on’ and has no remote input (like the Arrivals application) which means that we couldn’t offer it as a remotely installed application.

(NOTE: I’ve removed the Arrivals application from the previous post as it was a paid-for bespoke application for your organisation.)

Sorry but I have to ask the question before I let this drop.

Would it be possible to add the “arrivals” screen functionality to the hosted edition?

By possible we really mean is it technically possible and what is the level of development effort that would be required?

Support
    Keymaster

Hi Tony,

>> Would it be possible to add the “arrivals” screen functionality to the hosted edition?
    >> what is the level of development effort that would be required?

This is clearly something that’s very important to you and as you’re unlikely to take no for an answer 😉 we’ve taken a look at the code to see what would be involved. The answer is that yes it is technically possible but we’d need to spend some time going through the code and make a number of changes so that it could run (a) as an unmonitored application and (b) efficiently inside a Terminal Service session.

Even with the changes, this is still really NOT recommended. The Arrivals Screen is designed to run continually and unmonitored. If your connection to the server is lost then the application will stop and will need to be manually restarted. If we take down the server for maintenance (usually done at night) then you will lose the connection and the application will need to be manually restarted.

If these scenarios don’t concern you and you would like us to provide a quote for the work involved, please contact us via email (support@pioneersoftware.co.uk) and we’ll be happy to look into it further and get back to you with a quote.

Thank you for looking at this.

The key phrase for us is the advice “it is really not recomended.” In which case we would not even want to try.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.